Close Page to Return
John Fish & Son Jewelers – founded 1888

John Fish & Son Jewelers  c. 2012
1022 Lancaster Avenue

John Fish & Son Jewelers  c. 1898
1018 Lancaster Avenue
John Fish left Plymouth, England, on April 13, 1888 and arrived in New York on April 23rd. He opened a watch repair shop on Lancaster Avenue in Bryn Mawr shortly after his arrival. Three years later he returned to England where he took a bride on February 18, 1891. The couple returned to America and started construction of their store and home at 1018 Lancaster Avenue in Bryn Mawr.

John Fish & Son Jewelers  c. 1917
2 Cricket Avenue, Ardmore, PA
In 1914 Mr. Fish purchased a second business at 115 West Lancaster Pike in Ardmore, to be managed by his oldest son William J. Fish. That building was demolished for the development of the Auto Car plant, so he transferred his business to 2 Cricket Avenue in Ardmore.

John Fish & Son Jewelers  c. 1930
1018 Lancaster Avenue in Bryn Mawr
After a business career of 42 years, John Fish sold his Bryn Mawr establishment to his son Walter M. Fish in 1930. The business continued in the original building until May, 1966 when he relocated the firm to it's present location at 1022 Lancaster Avenue.

John Fish & Son Jewelers – Interior  c. 2012
1022 Lancaster Avenue
On January 1, 1968, Walter Fish accepted into partnership his son, David Fish, who is now the third generation of the family to continue the oldest retail store on the Main Line.

David and Betty Fish – Continue serving the Main Line
In December 1970 Walter Fish retired from the business, after serving for 50 years. At that time, his son David purchased the business and along with his wife Betty, continues to run the business today. Dave's nephew Charlie Scott has joined Dave and Betty in the 123rd year of the business and continue serving customers on into the fourth generation of John Fish Jewelers.

The memory of John Fish and his wife has been preserved in a permannent memorial in glass etched doors done by the Artisian duncan Niles Terry. They are located in the inside entrance to the Good Shepherd Church, 1116 E. Lancaster Avenue, and depict references to biblical figures. These doors were donated by the eight children of John and Lucy Fish, all of whom attended the church during their early childhood.

The firm of family jewelers is widely known for its repair and service of antique clocks. House calls are made to individual private homes and many institutions in the entire Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Delaware areas.


top of page Copyright  2017  Main Line Laser top of page
19010 Bryn Mawr, PA News & Business



Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional