Close Page to Return

Aqua America – founded 1886
Aqua America
762 Lancaster Avenue Avenue
In 1886, a group of Swarthmore College professors connected pumps and pipes to nearby springs to supply their Delaware County community with drinking water and incorporated into the Springfield Water Company – now known as Aqua America. In 1882, the neighboring Bryn Mawr Water Company sank an artisan well in the property of their corporate headquarters on Lancaster Pike. In 1896, the Springfield Water Company acquired the Bryn Mawr Water Company in order to consolidate operations and management functions. By 1925 the Company had grown to meet the needs of 58 municipalities in 3 counties and shareholders voted to change the name to Philadelphia Suburban Water Company (or PSW).

A mission of Lower Merion Baptist Church, including a chapel and educational building on Lancaster Avenue, was sold to the PSW Co in 1952 for their offices. In 1968 the water company board voted to create a holding company, Philadelphia Suburban Corporation and listed PSC on the New York Stock Exchange in July, 1971. In 2003, PSC announced plans to change the corporation name to Aqua America, Inc. and the ticker symbol to WTR On January 16, 2004, PSW became Aqua Pennsylvania.


top of page Copyright  2017 Main Line Laser top of page
19010 Bryn Mawr, PA News & Business



Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional