The first recorded meeting of area Methodists was in 1778. The prayer
service was held in the James Mansion House in Rosemont. The 1876
Centennial and the Pennsylvania Railroad expansion of settlement in the
area, led the Methodists to build a more convenient house of worship in
St. Luke's Methodist Episcopal (now St. Luke's United Methodist) Church
began in 1876 when a committee, presided over by Bishop Simpson, made
plans to establish a Methodist church in Bryn Mawr.
By August 29, 1877 ground was broken on the southeast corner of Penn
Street and Montgomery Avenue. The cornerstone was laid on October 1st
and the Church was dedicated on June 29, 1879 and given the name St.
Luke in honor of the beloved physician of the Bible.
In 1880 the pipe organ was given and installed. The parsonage was built
in 1891. The Church basement was made ready for the Sunday School,
which met there for the first time in November 1915.
St. Luke United Methodist Church
Until 1883 St. Luke's shared the pastor of Radnor Methodist Church. The
educational building was erected in 1950. The original church building
was replaced by a new sanctuary dedicated on March 23, 1962.